Per DMV website,
Apply for Your Original Driver License
AB 60 applicants can now make an appointment online, on the DMV NOW iPhone/ Android applications or by phone, to visit a DMV office beginning January 2, 2015 when the new law is implemented.
Note: This appointment should be made as an “Original Driver License.”
Customers applying for an original driver license will need to do the following:
- Study for the driver license exam
- Complete a driver license application form (DL 44) available at the DMV office
- Under AB 60, applicants will need to provide DMV with:
Proof of identity and California residency
- Pass a vision test, TouchScreen knowledge (written) test, and if applicable, a road sign test
- Give a thumb print
- Have a picture taken
- Schedule a future appointment for the behind-the-wheel driving test
Applicants under 18 applying for an original driver license will also need to submit proof of driver education completion. For further information about obtaining a new driver license, refer to the California Driver Handbook or visit http://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/dmv/dl/driverhandbooks.